NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC (WECT) – The New Hanover County Sheriff's Gang Task Force Unit is investigating an incident that happened Thursday at Williston Middle School, according to Sgt. Jerry Brewer.
A video depicts a fight that started between two young girls, then spreads into a larger group fighting with one of the girls.
A relative of one of the children involved said the group identifies itself as the T.O.D. Gang, or Trap or Die.
Seven girls involved in the incident are facing simple assault charges and three of them will be charged with felony second-degree kidnapping, Sgt. Brewer said. They will not, however, be arrested. The Sheriff's Office is drawing up juvenile petition orders that will be hand-delivered to the parents.
Sgt. Brewer said it's highly unusual for a group of girls, who are all middle-school aged, to be facing such serious charges.
A spokesperson for the New Hanover County School System addressed the incident with the following statement:
"New Hanover County Schools is working with the Sheriff's Office - Gang Task Force on this incident and the district continues to work to prevent gang-related activities from occurring in our schools. We can confirm that there was an incident at Williston where the Gang Task Force is involved. Appropriate discipline for the students involved has been administered. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) does not allow us to disclose the names of the alleged perpetrators or victims. Under FERPA, we also cannot discuss the type of discipline administered.
The district takes this incident very seriously and we will not tolerate any type of gang behavior in the schools. Over the last year, NHCS has seen a significant reduction in the number of incidents such as this and we will continue to work to ensure the safety of all students."