• Seven-year-old Aiyana Jones was asleep on the living room sofa in her family's apartment when Detroit police, searching for a homicide suspect burst in and an officer's gun went off, fatally striking the girl in the neck.
• Her father, 25-year-old Charles Jones, had just gone to bed early Sunday after covering his daughter with her favorite Disney princess blanket when he heard a flash grenade followed by a gunshot.
• When he rushed into the living room, police forced him to lie on the ground, with his face in his daughter's blood.
• The lead officer's gun went off after he encountered the 46-year-old grandmother inside the front room of the home and "some level of physical contact" ensued.
• However, the grandmother Mertilla Jones said she was not involved in a struggle with the officer.
• Police do not believe the gun was fired intentionally and later said the officer may have just collided with the woman.
• Three other children were also in the home at the time.
• The officer was put on paid administrative leave and police are investigating.